Gluten Free Everything Bagels
makes 8 bagels
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 1/2 cup @cup4cup multipurpose gf flour*
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp arrowroot starch*
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp almond flour*
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
*do not pack flour when measuring!! Instead spoon flour into the measuring up and even off the top with a knife.
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp avocado oil
Egg wash: 1 egg beaten plus 1 tbsp water
Everything bagel seasoning
1. In a glass measuring cup add the warm water and maple syrup. Stir until the maple syrup is dissolved. Then sprinkle in the yeast and gently whisk until dissolved. Set aside for 10 min until foam appears on the surface.
2. Combine the gf flour, arrowroot starch, almond flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Add the activated yeast/water mixture, avocado oil, and vinegar to the flour mixture. Mix on low to combine. Then slowly increase the speed to about medium speed. Continue this for about 5 min. Dough should be smooth. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled glass bowl and cover with kitchen towel. Let rise in warm spot for about 1.5-2 hours.
3. On a silicone kneading mat (or parchment paper) sprinkle on some extra gf flour and have some set aside for later in case the dough becomes sticky. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into a ball. Roll it just enough so that there are little to no cracks on the sides of the dough, as this could cause the bagel to loose its round shape when baking. With flour on your hands, poke a hole in the center of the dough ball with your thumb and shape it into a bagel shape. Repeat for remaining pieces.
4. Transfer finished bagels to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil (I filled the pot about 1/2 way) and place each bagel in the boiling water using a slotted spatula. Boil for about a minute, flipping the bagel on both sides. Take it out and place back on the baking sheet. Repeat for remaining bagels. Leave space in between each bagel.
6. Brush your egg wash on your bagels and sprinkle on everything bagel seasoning. Bake for 20-30 min or until golden and firm on top. Let cool and enjoy!! Serve with butter or cream cheese.
* I like to store any extra bagels in the freezer so they maintain their moisture and freshness.